Marcus Grodi & Jim Anderson start with Psalm 62 and discuss the difficulties among Christians in understanding Biblical references to Faith and Works.
Marcus Grodi invites good friend Davie Currie, former Fundamentalist Baptist seminarian and son of a pastor, to discuss a “Hard Verse” from the Book of Zechariah and how this verse opened his eyes to the continuity between the Old Testament and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Marcus and David also discuss briefly David's new book Loving Baby Louie about helping children understand miscarriage and the loss of a baby.
Scripture verse: Zechariah 14: 20-21
- David Currie's books: Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic | Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind | What Jesus Really Said about the End of the World | Loving Baby Louie: Hope in the Midst of Grief
- Thomas Howard's Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament
- David Currie's written conversion story
- David Currie's Journey Home episodes primary episode | open line Q&A | open line Q&A, too | 4 | 5
- David Currie's Deep in Scripture episodes "Making Decisions as a Christian, 2 Thessalonians 3: 13 & Daniel 1:8" | "The End Times, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12" | "Matthew 24:36-42 & 25"
Jim Anderson, Coming Home Network's Manager of Clergy Members and former Lutheran seminarian, joins Marcus Grodi to discuss some “Hard Verses” from Scripture. Jim chose the Old Testament story of Jephthah, which left him scratching his head! Marcus chose a New Testament verse regarding “decency,” asking the question who defines “decency” and such standards?
What does "indwelling" mean? What is friendship with God? How does "friendship" help us to know God?
Marcus Grodi welcomes former Calvinist Dr. David Anders to this episode of Deep in Scripture. Dr. Anders chooses a verse that was "hard" for him as a Calvinist. The pair focus discussion on their Calvinist backgrounds, particularly David's Puritan history.
Scripture verse: John 14:23
- Dr. David Anders' website and blog
- Called to Communion radio program
- Orthodoxies in Massachusetts: Rereading American Puritanism, Janice Knight
- Imitation of Christ, Thomas a Kempis
- Henri Nouwen
- St. Thomas Aquinas on Friendship
- Dr. David Anders' The Journey Home episode 1 | 2 | 3
- Dr. Anders' Deep in Scripture episode "Venerating the Relics of the Saints"
Marcus Grodi and Gary Michuta talk about the importance of the Deuterocanonical Books of the Bible and how they impacted New Testament passages like Hebrews 11:35. Gary can be found at handsonapologetics.com